Filter lists disappear w/ ABP 2.6.3

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
ericrose

Filter lists disappear w/ ABP 2.6.3

Post by ericrose »

All filter lists disappear with the newest version of ABP when closing Firefox (v.28.0) and have to be manually restored every time when opening the browser. That wasn't necessary with the earlier versions.
Gingerbread Man

Re: Filter lists disappear w/ ABP 2.6.3

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Why are you running an outdated version of Firefox? It contains security vulnerabilities. Plus, just about everything you dislike about the Firefox 29 interface can be restored with a single add-on.
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known- ... refox.html
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/how-to-m ... ld-firefox

Try a clean reinstall.
  1. Click the Adblock Plus icon on the toolbar and choose Filter Preferences.
  2. Click the Backup and Restore button in the lower left corner, then Create New Backup.
  3. Save a backup of type "All filters and subscriptions" somewhere handy, like the desktop.
  4. Close the preferences window.
  5. In the Add-ons Manager, Extensions category, click the Remove button next to Adblock Plus.
  6. Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Click the "I'll be careful, I promise" button to bypass the warning.
  7. In the search box, paste extensions.adblockplus
  8. In the search results, right-click every entry with the status "User set" and choose Reset.
  9. Type about:support in the address bar and press Enter.
  10. Click the Show Folder button.
  11. Exit Firefox.
  12. In the Firefox profile window that opened earlier, delete the adblockplus folder.
  13. Restart Firefox and install Adblock Plus.
  14. Click the Adblock Plus icon on the toolbar and choose Filter Preferences.
  15. Click the Backup and Restore button in the lower left corner, then Restore Own Backup. Choose the backup file you created earlier.
ericrose

Post by ericrose »

Thank you for your answer. After following your instructions, I unfortunately noticed that nothing had changed: the filters still disappear and have to be reinstalled from the backup file every time the browser is opened. This problem didn't appear with the earlier versions of ABP.
Drod70

Post by Drod70 »

I'm getting the same issue. Everything has worked fine for years and now I get ads when I open the browser. I look at the filters and it says I have none. I have to then ad easylist again and refresh to remove them. I AM running the most up to date version of Firefox, 29.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Try starting Firefox in a brand new profile. Don't modify any settings and don't install any add-ons besides Adblock Plus.
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/profile- ... x-profiles

Do you still have the same issue? Either way, in your regular profile, type about:support in the address bar and press Enter. Copy the entire list of extensions to the clipboard and paste it in a reply here.