Adblock Plus causing Firefox is already running error

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
jf866

Adblock Plus causing Firefox is already running error

Post by jf866 »

Adblock Plus causing Firefox is already running error.
mapx

Re: Adblock Plus causing Firefox is already running error

Post by mapx »

It's difficult to understand something from this general statement

list your details:
-browser version
-ABP version
-subscriptions
-op.system
-what sort of errors ? paste here those errors (upload some screenshots using imgur.com)
-errors on all the visited sites ? only few of them ?
-provide step by step procedure to catch those errors
-security software ?
-other addons ?
-Did you scan for malware / adware ?
-Did you try a new firefox profile ? (see my signature)
-other details

Post by Guest »

I get this from time to time on multiple computers also but I never knew it might be ABP. In case that is the issue, rather than FF just not closing itself properly (probably due to it not clearing history settings within a set period of time?).

Browser version - been over various releases the past couple months at least.

ABP version - been over at least the last two releases (2.6 and 2.5 or 2.5.1, whatever the official release that gets updated automatically)

Subscriptions - Fanboy Ultimate, Malware Domains and Adblock Warning Removal (and happened with and without that checked)

OS - W7 and W8

Errors - None. Just that when attempting to launch FF it will say it is already running and to close it before starting again

Errors on sites - None. Just the one when launching FF after it has been previously launched and closed where it will say it is already running and to close that before starting again (have to use task manager to close that instance)

Steps to reproduce - unknown for me as the vast majority of time everything works normally. Just once in awhile it will say FF is already running due to not closing even though everything appears as though it has.

Security software - nothing not built in to Windows

Add-ons - NS

Not virus/malware related.

Firefox profile. Happens on multiple computers so doesn't appear to be profile issue.

Just an issue with FF not doing whatever it does upon close within an allotted time or related to ABP?
Paul Anderson

Post by Paul Anderson »

I also get this error when trying to start Firefox again in the same powered on session.
I use alt/ctrl/del to bring up the task manager and end the firefox.exe process.
Don't understand why it's still running, only happened after adblock.
Win XP 32 bit service pack 3 system.

Post by Guest »

I am not sure if no further staff reply was offered because they weren't sure if ABP might be the cause, slipped through the cracks or other but I stumbled upon these and thought it might be helpful to link them here. It sounds like this might be a known FF issue rather than attributed to ABP.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/3 ... easenotes/

Unresolved

Slow shut downs lead to 'Firefox is already running' warning (see 966469 and 985655)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=966469

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=985655
No Name Chosen

Post by No Name Chosen »

I'm having the similar same issues on various Windows 7 computers at both work and at home, and they all have different configurations, with different extensions installed, but they all have one thing in common - AdBlock Plus. Disabling the ABP add-on extension causes the browser lockup problem to immediately stop locking up. Also, this problem only seems to happen on Facebook's website, and only when ABP is running. Disabling ABP allows Facebook to go back to normal, except with Ads showing up of course. Totally uninstalled Firefox, and removing all extensions. Then reinstalled Firefox, and then ABP. Guess what? The EXACT same problem happened. Facebook and the entire Firefox browser locks up entirely anytime ABP is loaded while trying to load Facebook. While I hate having to run my FF without ABP, I don't really seem to have a choice right now, as this is happening in FF 28.x, 29.x, and 30.x
No Name Chosen

Post by No Name Chosen »

And this would be the error that comes up when ABP finally allows Firefox to start working again, roughly 5 minutes later :

Code: Select all

https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/yp/r/21bfDHaSBi6.js:68